Pretty Darn Good
- Joshua Ledet - "If You Don't Know Me By Now" - This guy is insane with the notes he can sing. I know some people don't like the screaming. And usually I don't (see: Adam Lambert), but the way Joshua hits those notes and the timing of it, it's just musical bliss. My only complaint about Joshua is that it would seem he is trying to do the same type of song every week. A slow R&B balladish song, start it off simple and build up to an amazing vocal moment. He nails it most of the time, but I'd like to see what else he has in his arsenal.
- Jessica Sanchez - "How Will I Know?" - We already had a Whitney night, but on 80s night Jessica seemed to be the only one that embraced the TRUE FEELING of the 80s with her song choice and arrangement. She sang the song straight up. And when you have a voice like hers, you can do exactly that. 16? Seriously? Even the facial expressions along with the voice are there. How do 16 year olds get so polished? One piece of advice from the Mrs: She needs new teeth, STAT.
- Skylar Laine - "Wind Beneath My Wings" - She was going last, so obviously whatever she was doing was going to be great. But, when I heard she was going to do the Bette Midler sappy ballad, I wasn't too optimistic. But, she nailed it and proved that she is a vocal powerhouse to be dealt with. And on a night that she was dressed and looked just like Reba, Randy makes no comment about it. I can't believe I was actually disappointed about it!
- Phillip Phillips - "That's All" - Dave Matthews does Genesis. Okay, now that that's out of the way...it was cool that he was able to bring his brother-in-law on stage with him. I wasn't as thrilled as the judges with this performance. It's cool to see him rock it out every week but I thought the pitch was a bit flat throughout the performance. Andthose high notes were rough. But, it's Phillip and I think his off-tune performances are a bit expected to since it kind of goes with his "raw/dirty" style. I don't think there's any fear of him going home tonight.
- Colton Dixon - "Time After Time" - One of my favorite 80s songs. I thought it was weird how the judges kept giving Colton props for flipping the song to be a man's song when tons of people have covered the tune. The one that comes to mind for me is Matchbox 20. You have to give Colton serious props for giving Quiet Drive credit for the rendition he used. Something, Skylar should have done when she stole Miranda's cover of "Stay With Me"! (I might get over this one day. Really!) The performance was decent. Nothing spectacular about it, but it was good.
- Elise Testone - "I Want to Know What Love Is" - Elise is probably my favorite contestant this year, but this was a definite misfire. After seeing what she pulled off last week, I don't want to see her taking on sappy 80s ballads, especially one so boring. She was given some bad advice to go with the song from Jimmy and 50% of No Doubt. And those choruses that Gwen Stefani kept saying were going to be amazing, they just weren't. I didn't hear the pitchiness that Randy did, I just heard the boringness of the song. She might be in danger tonight, but if she is, I have faith the judges will save her.
- Hollie Cavanagh - "Flashdance...What a Feeling" - Still the same deal with Hollie. She's trying to come out of her shell and "EMOTE". The problem is, you can see her thinking about it the whole performance. Yes, she worked the stage but it seemed so obviously chroeographed. Walk to right side, shake your hips and sing, walk to left side, shake your hips and sing, walk in front of judges point your hand to crowd, go behind judges, shake your hips and do a little twirl, go back to center stage do some more hip shaking and go for big note....oh and don't forget which repeat of the chorus you're on or you'll end the song on the wrong lyrics!! OOPS!!! Am I the only one that noticed that? Hollie is technically an awesome singer, but she is thinking way too much out there, as J Lo said. Of course, J Lo also offered very long and confusing advice with her whole "Remember all the constructive criticism but forget about it!" I know what she meant, but I'm sure it went right over Hollie's head. She could be in serious danger this week. When I think of young contestants on Idol , this is usually the type that come to mind. They sing some amazing songs, but the further they get into the competition they just don't have the experience to keep going. So, it's probably only a matter of time before she's out.
Okay you were better but please get off the stage!!
- DeAndre Brackensick - "I Like it" - Well what do you know? Deandre can sing like a man! Some of his performance was actually tolerable until he goes into his hop skippy "woo ooh ooh hooooooo's". I have no tolerance for people that shove a falsetto voice down our throats. He will not last until the end. He mustn't. But, I think he'll survive this week, even though he did go first. And yes, this could be just my reverse psychology trying to make something here!
- Colton/Skylar - "Islands in the Stream" - Pretty darn impressive harmonies and very cute. Not one of us thought they were dating until Ryan asked. Had to love Skylar's defensiveness in denying the rumors.
- Hollie/DeAndre - "I'm So Excited" - Eh
- Jessica/Joshua - "I Knew You Were Waiting for Me" - This was the moment when this blog's opening paragraph started entering my thoughts. Absolutely insane that these 2 young-ens could convincingly pull this song off and make it seem like they've been singing together for years. Very good.
Bottom 3: DeAndre, Elise, Hollie Wildcard: Colton?
Eliminatation Pick: Hollie Cavanagh - By process of elimination, I really think it's going to be her this week. But, it could be one of those surprise weeks where someone we don't even expect will be there. And, of course this would mean SAVE. If it's Elise, it would also mean save. Basically, anyone other than DeAndre or Hollie at this point would probably be a save. So we'll see! Talented girl, but probably still wasn't ready for the Idol stage.
And that's it folks! Agree/Disagree with my thoughts? Throw your thoughts into the comments section below! Hope you enjoyed my ramblings as always and I'll see you next week!