As for the contestants? It was a mixed bag of a night. But it's pretty clear who are the frontrunners vs. the middle of the pack vs. the weakest links at this point. I typed each contest recap up basically in real time, so I wasn't aware of what was coming next or who would inevitably be sent packing. (trying to be efficient in my time!) Let's dive into the discussion.
- Jax - "Poker Face" - Pretty interesting rendition of the tune. I think the judges were expecting a little more just like we at home were. But she still is one of the top contenders this season, and I think she'll be fine.
- Nick - "Teenage Dream" - Okay, so I'm apparently totally off on this guy. I really don't get the appeal. But, he is the token man of light skin that plays a wooden box with strings this season (aka WGWG. then again, Clark can fill that role and is much better and more versatile). So, I guess that means he's going to go on a bit of a run regardless of what I say here. There are worse contestants and he can carry a tune. I just don't think he has a great presence up there.
- Quentin - "Latch" - Never liked the song. But Quentin sang it really well and commanded the stage. Harry mentioned pitch issues, but I didn't pick up on them. I should state the disclaimer that all of my idol watching experiences these days include screaming kids in surround sound!
- Joey - "Wrecking Ball" - She avoided the crabby hands! I'll be honest, I didn't pick up on that before and I can still make fun of Carrie Underwood's mannerisms on stage. Very emotional performance. She is totally a different artist than I expected from the first time we saw her. Judges spoke of not enough dynamics. Probably true, but I still think there's something about her that stands out. I still think she's safe this week.
- Clark - "Make it Rain" - Dude is just awesome. I'm no Jason Derulo fan, but the people that got him as a mentor certainly benefitted more than getting the joke known as Florida Georgia Line. Nice little guitar solo which he could afford to take a few seconds to do because the vocal is just dead on fantastic. Still the one to beat. All the judges can do is nitpick on some really technical stuff to make him even better. All good advice though!
- Tyanna - "Stay" - She definitely can get inside a lyric with her personal motivations. Powerful voice and conviction for 16. On a good day, she's right up there with the top contestants.
- Rayvon - "Set Fire to the Rain" - The guy has a good voice, but I just don't think he's on the same tier as the others.
- Qaasim - "Hey Ya" - Still not that great. Still an energetic performer. But there's no impressive vocal. At this point, Rayvon and Qaasim should be in the bottom 2 in comparison to everyone else.
Rayvon and Qaasim fought for the fan save. Qaasim goes home! I really don't think Rayvon deserves to be saved twice, but between those 2 yet again, he deserves to stay!
Bottom 2: Rayvon, Quentin
Elimination pick: Rayvon - 3rd time's the charm!
That's all I have this week. Hope you enjoyed my brief ramblings yet again and I'll see you next week!