Performance Recap - Theme for the week "Grammys"
- Dalton Rapattoni - "Radioactive" by Imagine Dragons - I think I speak for popular culture and we're all tired of this song. Dalton was singing in a lower octave than the original and it didn't really work for me. Boring is the word that comes to mind. It was sung finely in tune so that wasn't the issue.
- Lee Jean - "Use Somebody" by Kings of Leon - I appreciate him wanting to branch out and try and stand out. Vocal sounded a little better than previous weeks. Maybe he's getting a little more comfortable. First half of the song was a bit too "manicky" for me (I know it's not a word!). I'm a little surprised he survived elimination this week, so I'm a little curious who may be going home in his place.
- Sonika Vaid - "Since U Been Gone" by Kelly Clarkson - Always bold taking on the queen of the Idol stage. Many times it has been the kiss of elimination for a contestant. Felt very choreographed. She has a good voice, but when you compare it to the soulful sound of the original Idol it just doesn't match up.
- MacKenzie Bourg - "I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me)" by Whitney Houston - I like this kid. I tried to hate him, but he's just too darn talented. Great performance. Idol winning performance? Tough call with La'Porsha hanging around. We'll see how she does tonight. Harry thought he should've mixed it up more. I hear him, but I thought he did change it up a bit and it worked out. Plus, he's got the grandmother vote coming in now after the shout out to Nona!
- La'Porsha Renae - "Halo" by Beyonce - Loved the pre performance clip on the hair. There's not much else to say about her voice and the control on the voice. It's in another league. She's ridiculously good. My only critique is that she did 2 slow songs 2 weeks in a row now. But, when you're that good who cares?
- Trent Harmon - "When a Man Loves a Woman" by Michael Bolton - Nice control on the face dude! Trent sang some sweet melodies and that high note was quite impressive! He still remains relevant in the competition.
- Tristan McIntosh - "Go Rest High on That Mountain" by Vince Gill - Wow. I didn't expect such a good vocal from her. That's the best she's sounded. Smart to tone it down a notch and get on the piano. Great tune too.
- (Bottom 3) Avalon Young - "Earned It" by The Weeknd - Definitely deserving of the bottom 3 last week after that "off" performance. This definitely felt more in her wheelhouse and showed off her unique sound in the competition. Good stuff!
- (Bottom 3) Olivia Roxx - "Trouble" by P!nk - Not a bad performance by Olivia. She really rocked the stage. Seemed like the crowd wasn't into it. You also can already tell the judges bias on who they'll probably select. With all of the stage antics I do agree something seemed to be missing from the performance.
- (Bottom 3) Gianna Isabella - "If I Ain't Got You" by Alicia Keys - In tune, sang perfectly. Forgettable.
My picks from last week: Gianna and Lee
Eliminated: Gianna Isabella and Olivia Roxx
1 for 2 ain't bad. Olivia was good, but I didn't really see her in contention for the crown. Farewell to both of you.
This is tough if we need to pick 2 each week! Tonight was a pretty decent night of performances. But I think 3 of them were a little underwhelming. So I'm going to dive right in here to my picks,
Top 8 Botton 3: Dalton, Lee, Sonika Wildcard: Avalon
Top 8 Elimination Picks: Lee Jean, Sonika Vaid - Lee's a fighter. I've counted him out a couple times now. Definitely talented, but I don't think he can last too much longer. Sonika - She took on Kelly, and like many before her she paled in comparison.
It's crazy how quickly this shortened season is going. We'll be saying goodbye to American Idol in 5 weeks! Until then, I'll still be having something to say as always. Hope you enjoyed my ramblings and I'll see you next week!