Thursday, February 25, 2016

American Idol: Season 15 - Top 10 Perform

Hello American Idol fans! Wow, Jenn goes home!  But, no fear we had Kelly Clarkson to see us through the 2 hour ordeal of losing her.  And it was just awesome to have her critiquing all night and then to give her potential send-off performance on the Idol Stage.  My top 10 performance recaps come to you in real-time again.  Our near 22 month old daughter was wide awake and screaming in our ears during the show, but I think we were able to hear everything pretty well!  Here goes nothing!
Performance Recap
  1. Olivia Rox - "Unconditionally" by Katy Perry - She has a powerful voice.  Good way to kick off the night.  Not much else to say about it.  Need to see how she compares to the rest of the crop!  Good feedback from Kelly, she would've been a great judge! 
  2. Gianna Isabella - "Listen" by Beyonce - She may have lost some credibility with her profession of love for Scotty McCreery.  And the performance fell a little flat.  I like her, but at 15 her nerves were showing.  
  3. Lee Jean - "Skinny Love" by Bon Iver - Still some pitch issues but much better than Wednesday night.  He's just a likable talented dude.  
  4. Avalon Young - "Stitches" by Shawn Mendes - I think some other contestants have sung this song this year, maybe even Lee Jean.  I'm not sure what it was, but I wasn't feeling the performance.  It was mostly in tune, but maybe a weird key that she was singing it in.  The judges referenced a shaky start, so maybe it just never got in the groove for me after that.  Oh and Kelly? She's hilarious and on point as always.   
  5. Dalton Rapattoni - "Hey There Delilah" by Plain White Ts - Dalton talked about David Cook being an inspiration to change up songs.  So, he interestingly took a low key acoustic song and punked it up.  Actually, it was pretty entertaining.  I just don't think his voice is that strong compared to others in the competition.  He does have good stage presence and performs to the crowd well and that's a plus.  Nice trivia on the smudged guy-liner too. 
  6. Tristan McIntosh - "Nothin' Like You" by Dan & Shay - Interesting song choice.  Seemed a little low and a little flat most of the performance.  J Lo brought up the elephant in the room.  Too many young performers this year!  I noticed it during the auditions that they were letting in and focusing on a lot of 15 year olds.  Not promising for the next couple months of performances!  Kelly and Harry gave her some good tips on future song choices.  So, if she's around maybe she'll improve from week to week. 
  7. McKenzie Bourg - "I See Fire" by Ed Sheehan - America loves Ed Sheeran!  I hate to say it, but this guy might be the best of the crop tonight so far.  I think I've been vocal on why I dislike this.  There have been too many winners like him in the back half of the series.  He's pretty awesome though.   
  8. La'Porsha Renae - "Diamonds" by Rhianna - Maybe I spoke too soon.  I've said it before.  Girl can SANG.  That was pretty much a flawless performance.  I'm sure it's too soon to crown the winner, but how can anyone top that? 
  9. Sonika Vaid - "Bring Me to Life" by Evanescence - Lots of confidence.  Really good vocal.  They saved their heavy hitters for the end.  Nice on the judges speaking to the fact that she had to follow La'Porsha and brought it. I'd still give the edge to La'Porsha for now, but we'll see how things go! 
  10. Trent Harmon - "Like I Can" by Sam Smith - He's another strong one in this competition.  My only concern with him is getting tired of that high voice of his.  It's very good, but a lot of it might get old!  The final 4 tonight showed that there is a competition this year.  Maybe not the best ever like J-Lo mentioned, but there is some talent.     
Elimination Recap and Picks


My Top 14 elimination Picks: Manny, Thomas, Lee, Jeneve
Eliminated from Top 14: Manny, Jenn, Thomas, Jeneve



Time to get into my process of elimination for tonight!  It will be a double elimination next week.  Let's get to work: 



Untouchable - La'Porsha
Really Good - Trent, Sonika, McKenzie
Good Enough - Olivia, Dalton
A little below Good Enough - Tristan, Avalon
Uh oh - Gianna, Lee



Top 10 Elimination Picks: Gianna Isabella and Lee Jean  Wildcard Pick: Tristan McIntosh



And folks, you just aren't human if you didn't cry along with Kelly during her possible final performance on the Idol stage. She's the best and always will be.  They should've just ended the show after she won!  KIDDING!!  Okay, that's enough for me tonight.  Hope you enjoyed my ramblings and I'll see you next week! 

No comments: