Hello American Idol fanatics! These 5 really brought it tonight didn't they!? Well, I guess I'd say for the most part it was a pretty solid show. I hate how they are content with keeping the show an hour and a half still. I don't think we ever had 2 songs each when we got down to the top 5. I thought it was top 3, maybe top 4 and they fit it in an hour. So we were treated to the judges talking on and on about who knows what? I love when they argued back and forth with Jacob about whatever and I was yelling at the TV "No one cares about him growing as an artist! We want him to go home!!!!" Anyway, so that's where we're at. THEN AND NOW the theme for tonight and the fabulous Sheryl Crow was there to guide these younglings along with Jimmy Iovine as always. Let's get to it!
- James Durbin - Song 1: "Closer to the Edge" by 30 Seconds to Mars Song, 2: "Without You" by Harry Nilsson - Love both songs. And I have thought James has really brought it every night. But I was very very confused by the love from the judges tonight. Sure, it was an emotional night but was anyone else laughing when he walked out of the pre-performance clip and Sheryl crow made a "WTF" face? And then he was sitting on a blue parking stop away from the camera? Call me insensitive but it was cracking me up! Hey, I've had my share of a long distance relationship but dude keep it together on camera! His vocals were all over the place tonight. And I'm sure he'll be safe because Randy dubbed him as the one to beat. Normally, I'd agree, and based on his track record I still think he's on his way to the Top 2. But, come on, don't dismiss his vocals because he was emotional. I would have been impressed if he was that upset and STILL hit the notes!
- Jacob Lusk - Song 1: "No Air" of Jordin Sparks and Chris Brown fame, Song 2: "Love Hurts" by Nazereth - I've made it no secret that I'm ready for Jacob to go home. Tonight's performances just solidified my stance on it! The one man duet, the oversinging of "Love Hurts" - Yes yes, amazing vocal range. The man can sing, but can we really call him a man with his girly hip thrusting and fist pumping of female empowerment during "No Air"? I mean, I felt bad for him it was so ridiculous! (may have laughed a whole bunch too) And it was no bowtie outfit from last week but outfit #1 of the night was totally a sailor's outfit, right? Insert Joke as you must. If I can't take the man seriously, then I can't want him to be our Idol. If I'm wondering where his RuPaul outfit is, then I can't want him to be our Idol. Call me insensitive or shallow. I don't care!!! You're all thinking it too!
- Lauren Alaina - Song 1: "Flat on the Floor" of Carrie Underwood fame, Song 2: "Unchained Melody" by the Righteous Brothers - And here's sweet little Lauren Alaina that everyone wants to root for and waiting for her to come out of her shell. Sheryl gives her one piece of advice. Stand in one place and ROCK the hell out of that Carrie Underwood song! And that's exactly what she did. I thought she did an awesome job and this is exactly the type of performance she needed to keep encouraging her voters to vote. Song #2, I really thought we were in for a moment with that one. And it did turn out to be sweet and beautiful if not a little pageanty. She did hit some high notes but did not even attempt to go for THE high note of "Unchained Melody" and I just don't know if you can sing that song without going for it. But it was a nice compliment to her Carrie song. I think she'll be fine tonight and shall be entering the Top 4.
- Scotty McCreery - Song 1: "Gone" by Montgomery Gentry, Song 2: "Always on My Mind" by Elvis Presley - Scotty was in his zone once again! Song 1, he was commanding the stage and the crowd. He played his flute once again but didn't get too carried away with it, and he showed more vocal range than normal. A seasoned vet up there at 16/17 however old he is. He toned it down for the Elvis ballad afterwards and while it wasn't as "stand-outish" of performance he reeled us all in and told his story beautifully. Scotty did a great job and is definitely, yes Randy, "IN IT TO WIN IT YOOOOOOOOOO!"
- Haley Reinhart - Song 1: "You and I" unreleased by Lady Gaga, Song 2: "The House of the Rising Sun" by the Animals - Okay, picking the Gaga song for her was a bit bizarre but I didn't think it was as detrimental as the judges thought. I've even heard of the "You and I" song that Lady Gaga performs and I'm not the "monster's" biggest fan either. What else is there to say about Haley? She drives a lot of us crazy with the growling and her weird vocalizing of some notes. But there is no denying in her talent. She has an amazing voice and range when used properly. The judges will say that she had a huge moment with the Animals song. And hey, maybe she did! She definitely wasn't my least favorite and she has grown on me enough for me not to hope she's going home this week. Crazy Voice with a Hint of Cookie Monster. That's what you get with Haley! (Note: Okay, I listened to "Rising Sun" again. It was really good. I undersold it in this recap. I admit it!)
Bottom 3: Don't think they'll do one. Jacob would be there. Maybe James, maybe Lauren or Haley. I dunno!
Elimination Pick: Jacob Lusk - I will pick him until he leaves the show! I really don't think there is any way around it this time. There's nothing saving him this week! I think he'll have a great future singing in Vegas with Chandler Bing's dad one day!
That's all I got folks! Lady Antebellum and Jennifer Lopez take the stage at the results when Jacob will EXIT the stage! Tune in to see if American gets it right. Hope you enjoyed my ramblings and I'll see you right here in the comments after the results!