Wednesday, April 12, 2006

American Idol: The Right Thing Happened

Well, he couldn't hide forever could he? That's right the Redneck has fallen people and all that remains are talented singers. Oh right, Ace is still there. Well we're close!


Bottom 3: Elliott Yamin, Ace "Pink Sweater" Young, Bucky Covington
Eliminated: Bucky Covington

dialidol.com final tallies: 6. Chris Daughtry 7. Bucky Covington 8. Ace Young

Biggest shocker of the night was probably Elliott being in the bottom 3. I think for the first time ever I was really rooting for the guy. I don't know if he's grown on me over the weeks or if it was just the fact that he sang my favorite Queen tune and did it well (and maybe even better tonight when told to sing on the spot). But I kinda like the guy now. Of course, I grew to like Bucky too, but we all knew he had to go eventually. And what a send-off. There will be plenty of Fat-Bottomed Girls waiting for ol' Bucky back in North Carolina! (No offense to the NC folk....there are Girls of all types everywhere!!) I was sad to see Ace stick around though. I really don't know if I can tolerate any more of his cheesiness. If he pulled off another Father Figure performance (from the semi-finals) maybe I could get back to enjoying his performances. But for now, Ace may as well be the Joker of the group! (ahh card jokes...you loving my new theme?)

Hey how about the cheesy Queen Group performance tonight? Actually, they sounded pretty good...but I think we all could've done without strolling down memory lane with the Brittenum twins and all of the infamous Audition video clips. The best thing about the whole performance is that I was redeemed in my song selections for the group! Both Paris and Katharine sang a bit of "Don't Stop Me Now" (which I picked for them both) and even Chris sang some of "Under Pressure" ! (Easily my 2nd favorite Queen song......Ice Ice Baby is such a rip-off!!!) I'm glad to see the musical masterminds behind Idol think the same way I do. But my question is this....I wonder how long they've been rehearsing this Queen performance.....in year's past they put together a group performance for every week. But this year they've been having the guest performances on results night. I'm wondering if they weren't allowed to use any of the songs performed tonight for the Tuesday Night performances. Because both Katharine and Taylor both sang in the medley some of the songs that they originally wanted to sing (that they rehearsed with Queen). I'm always about the Conspiracy theories and I think this is a good one. The Judges always stress song selection and how they have so many great songs to choose from. But what if they really don't? Sure, they could pick any Queen song out there (maybe)...except 10 of their greatest hits that were featured in the Wednesday Night Medley. I mean, does no one find it odd that there were no repeated songs in that Medley? Maybe it's all in my head. But hey ....that's what keeps me plugged in. Because this year, it sure ain't the performances.

Speaking of which, is anyone feeling the same way I am? I hinted at it last night. But there is just not ONE person that I can see being the next American Idol. I try to think of any of the performances this year and match it up against Kelly, Ruben, Clay, Carrie and Bo's worst performances (ok...maybe fantasia too).....and I just don't see these people matching up! I think there's a lot of potential....but I'm just not seeing anyone taking the opportunity.

And frankly...when will Paula finally admit that she is hooked on crack? The woman has not strung together a 2 word sentence all year that has made sense! (yes...I wouldn't expect a 3 word sentence or larger from Paula) And did anyone catch her on Leno the other night? I was embarassed for her! I think she needs MC Skat Kat to whip her back into shape!

Paula definitely needs to take 2 steps back and remember how to offer constructive criticism and worry less about Simon tickling her.

Anyways....Rod Stewart next week. You Guys excited? I definitely would've been....if they were doing Rod Stewart songs....but no...we're visiting the Great American Songbook volumes I-IV. Now, I know that my mom loves these albums (they make Great Christmas Gifts!).....but seriously....didn't we already do this theme night with the 50's night? When are we going to have an 80's Night? I don't recall this ever happening on Idol! I'd love to see someone take on A-Ha's "take on me" and Journey's "Don't Stop Believing" (you want to talk about falsetto?) and Bryan Adam's "Summer of 69" No no.....let's have Rod Stewart teach us how to sing like old people! And the judges complain about them all sounding old! I'm tired of this people! LET'S REVOLT!

So I'm getting long-winded in my entertaining rambling. So I'll leave you with words of wisdom that someone named Mike once said.... "I told you dialidol.com was not reliable!!!!!!"

Good Night!

1 comment:

Mike V. said...

Queen's Brian May Addresses 'Idol Fallout'

04/13/2006 2:00 PM, Yahoo! Music
Lyndsey Parker

After Queen appeared on this past Tuesday's episode of American Idol to coach the remaining eight contestants--who all sang Queen songs this week, with varying degrees of success--many assumed the band would perform on Wednesday's results show, as this season's previous coaches (Stevie Wonder, Barry Manilow, Kenny Rogers) have done. So when Queen was a no-show last night (in their place, viewers got a Queen medley performed by the finalists), some fans jumped to the conclusion that the band had bailed because they were displeased with how their songs were performed (some would say mangled) by the contestants.
This speculation can likely be traced back to the on-air bickering between Queen guitarist Brian May and finalist Ace Young, regarding Young's suggestion to turn "We Will Rock You" into an R&B number. (Said May, flat out, "I can't do that to my song.") But now May himself has addressed the Idol rumors in the "Brian's Soapbox" section of his official website, BrianMay.com.
"Well, no - there was never a plan for us to perform on the AI show," May writes. "We only wanted to do the coaching thing, (done at our sound-check in Anaheim), to give as much as we could to the participants ... ... not go into the TV studio and 'advertise' ourselves ... I'm happy about that decision."
May also discusses the Ace Young controversy, or as he calls it, "the fallout from American Idol," in a separate blog entry:
"Some of you have written in accusing me of undermining ACE with his interpretation of WWRY. Nothing could be further from the truth. I'm afraid this is an illustration of exactly what I have been quoted as saying about the programme ..... that the critical process would be better off done in private, like we do in auditioning for our musical ...
"We had an interaction with ACE, a conversation, in which we gave him the best advice we possibly could, based on studying the demo's which we already had in our iTunes - which I'd personally given a lot of time to study. This conversation, in my book, ought to have been private, but that is not the style of the show, sadly. But the even more unfortunate thing is that you are then in the hands of the video editors, who seem to seize with glee anything that looks negative. It was edited in such a way that it looked as if I was purely negative - they very naughtily inserted a bit that I said about "not on my own song" so it appeared that I said it AFTER we had played together, which was not the way it happened ...making me look like I was against the whole thing. But this was not the case. Having said that I wouldn't be able to play the arrangement exactly like his demo, and that I didn't think it would work without the stomps and claps which are foundation of the song, we then discussed how we could improve his ideas and with a mixture of a quick conference and spontaneous creation we came up with a kind of mixture of his thoughts and ours - WHICH WAS THE BASIS FOR THE ARRANGEMENT THAT YOU SAW THE HOUSE BAND PLAY ON THE NIGHT ! It was actually pretty damn good, I thought, for a quick attempt ... and he sang it very well live. If you talk to ACE he will confirm that we parted on the very best terms, and he thanked me for the input. I made it very clear that I respected him for taking chances and trying to make the song his own. The version you saw on TV used a straight sample beat with stomps and claps which set up the song in the first verse in the classic way, and then a working in of an underpinning riff (close to what I had done in our rehearsal period together, in response to Ace's idea) and then back to a straighter 3rd verse, but ending in his delayed phrase end stop, again, just as we did it together .... and I thought it was damn good.
"Just in case any of this isn't clear .... the version of WWRY that ACE performed on AI last night was a DIRECT RESULT of his own ingenuity and the advice we gave him, with our full encouragement and blessing. And he definitely rocked. And we wish him much luck in the contest."
Ace Young narrowly escaped elimination last night, landing in the bottom three with Bucky Covington and Elliott Yamin. But ultimately it was Bucky who had to go, allowing Ace to continue on to next week, when the finalists will work with special guest Rod Stewart. Meanwhile, Queen with Paul Rodgers perform tonight at the Pacific Coliseum in Vancouver, Canada.