I already gotta hand it to the Idol producing team for NOT allowing Josiah and Kyle go onto the next round. I thought for sure they were going to keep them in there and let the votefortheworst.com'ers do their thing! (wow...remember that site? It's all going to start next week! Don't forget dialidol.com too which lost some of its usefulness last season). Anyway no sense in delaying. Here are the top 24 contestants. My top 12 (6 Guys, 6 Girls) picks are marked in blue! I threw in a couple orange picks for wildcards with explanations next to them!
- Carly Smithson - She's awesome. She would've been a top 12'er in the other season she auditioned. The new tattoos she's sporting are not flattering. But the voice more than makes up for it. She's got top 12 written all over her.
- Amanda Overmeyer - Yeah, she has to prove she can mix things up. But I think America digs her. She's different that the norm, and I think Season 7 needs her in the top 12. She's in!
- Kristy Lee Cook - Can she sing just one song? What on earth did she sing on Hollywood Day 1? We may never know. But something tells me if she returns to her country roots for the next 3 weeks she'll be right at home. There's a lot of stiff competition among the girls though. And if she doesn't impress, she could be shown the door! Should be interesting!
- Brooke White - This is a tough one. I didn't like Brooke when she auditioned. And then she grew on me. But there's a lot of good talent here. I'd say she and Kristy Lee Cook might be fighting for the same spot.
- Alexandrea Lushington - Don't remember her. Didn't see much of her in Hollywood. She'll really have to impress.
- Ramiele Maluby - Paula impressed by BIG VOICE, TEENY BODY. I'm indifferent! Will need to see her sing a bit more before putting her in the almighty top 12!
- Syesha Mercado - The whole singing with no voice thing is probably going to help her win some people over. Because if she WAS hoarse that day, she sang pretty darn amazingly.
- Kady Malloy - Another one that I don't remember seeing much of. (Hey it was a long audition process!) And they definitely didn't spend much time on her tonight!
- Amy Davis - Yep...no clue
- Alaina Whitaker - 8-10 seem interchangeable to me. It's probably a good bet that one of them could upset one of the contestants that has gotten more attention so far. And perhaps they're vying for Kristy Lee Cook's spot or Brooke White's? Could happen! And if it does...I will tell you all that I accurately picked the top 12 anyway!
- Asia'h Epperson - America likes a good story. Follow that up with some good vocals, you're in. But she has to keep it going!
- Joanne Borgella - Joanne threw a wrench into my plan. I forgot all about her. She does have a very big voice to go with her plus-sized model self. And she's why I had to move Brooke White into Orange status. Although, with Syesha seeming like a shoe-in....maybe Asia'h and Joanne are fighting for a spot. Man this is tough stuff! I'm sticking with my 6 for now! (and 7th in Orange!)
- David Cook - I like him, America likes him. He's in. But he'll need to win over Simon to get some good critiques!
- David Archuletta - I don't like him, America likes him. He's in. There's one of these guys every year. Everyone is fooled into thinking he's really good. And sure...he's a really nice guy. And I was happy for him to get in. But I just don't think he's got the voice that will be the next American idol. Truthfully? No one in their right mind wants to buy an album from a 16 year old boy. So he's really in this show to give America a heart-warming story. And that's fine. Keep on singing your John Mayer David! I'll keep on rolling my eyes!
- Danny Noriega - How on earth could we have a top 12 without a Male Jessica Alba impersonator? There....I said it! Now try and look at him the same way! Unfortunately, not a lot of pictures are out there of the Danny man just yet. But when there are, you can be sure there will be a side by side comparison! I haven't been this sure of a match since the days of Mr. Tumnus and Elliott Yamin! And since Pia Easily isn't going to be in our top 12...we're gonna need Danny for some material!
- Jason Castro - Yep..nickname already decided: "DREADS" or any communist dictator alias. I just like the dreads...and for that, he gets Orange status!
- Luke Menard - Who????
- Michael Johns - No brainer, we figured that out yesterday! Did he develop some kind of British Accent? Is that why I thought he had been using a goofy voice before? Maybe it's just HIS voice???? oops!
- Robbie Carrico - The mysterious Ex-Boybander turned Rocker. I want him to move on so I can learn WHAT boyband he was in! But I think only have time for one rocker...and Robbie seems like a fraud in the "rocker" genre anyway. I think we'll be able to learn about his boyband past during one of these Semi-final episodes! We'll put him in orange anyway, just in case someone else slips up!
- Garrett Haley - Looks like some kind of Punk Bee Gee reject or something. Don't think we've seen much of him before!
- Chickezie Eze - Oh yeah, this guy is getting through just with the name. He didn't sing too bad either in the audition. Haven't seen much since. But, by default and by having a cool name, Chickezie will probably be joining the crew.
- Jason Yeager - Chuck Yeager's great great grandson? I dunno! but he definitely has like a streak of Blond/Grey in his spiked up Black hair. ooooh this guy is cool! Don't know enough about him yet. He'll have to wait on the sideline for a bit until he proves himself worthy!
- David Hernandez - I gave him my props yesterday. Turns out Simon is not thrilled with him. We'll just have to see about that! I'll put him in the top 12. But if Simon has seen more of this guy than we have...I'd tend to have to put some doubt in this pick. Maybe one of these random guys is waiting to steal this slot from him.
- Colton Berry - All I know is that he beat out Kyle Ensley who would've been an immediate hit with America and Votefortheworst.com all at one time.....and he would've made it to the top 6 because of it! So Colton is my hero!
In case you haven't been keeping up.
My top 12 Picks: Carly Smithson, Amanda Overmeyer, Kristy Lee Cook, Syesha Mercado, Asia'h Epperson, Joanne Borgella, David Cook, David Archuletta, Danny Noriega, Michael Johns, Chickezie Eze, David Hernandez
Wildcards: Brooke White, Jason Castro, Robbie Carrico
Of course, it is near impossible to ever get this 100% right. Knowing me, the top 12 will be filled with the people I didn't even give the time of day in this blog! Next week starts the real competition folks. Are you ready for it? Am I ready for it? (ugh...5 hours of Idol next week!) What are your thoughts on my top 12? Anything you'd do differently? I know a lot of our normal readers have been sleeping during the Auditions. Are you joining us now? Start putting in your 2 cents! Let's get the discussions moving! See you next week as we narrow down the top 24!