Wednesday, April 21, 2010

American Idol Season 9 - Idol Gives Back 2010 - Who Went Home?

Hello American Idol fans!  Welcome to the recap of the super bloated Idol Gives Back / Top 7 Results show.   We were live at the Idol Studio and also from the Pasadena Civic Auditorium hosted by Queen Latifah.  For 2 hours and almost an extra half hour we were learning about how much our money can help children in our country and all over the world.  Very touching stuff.   But we still had the sad moment of getting rid of one of our Top 7 contestants.   And, I must say, it is fitting that the kid who always smiles ends up being the one who we say goodbye to tonight.  Ladies and gentlemen let's bid adieu to our fallen idol contestant.



Eliminated: Tim Urban
Bottom 3: Casey James, Aaron Kelly, Tim Urban
My Bottom 3: Aaron Kelly, Tim Urban, Mike Lynche

It was bound to happen right?  I just picked the wrong week!   I kept thinking Tim would keep passing through from round to round.  He definitely stayed longer than we all expected, so he should be credited with at least that!  Aaron and Casey live to fight another day.  But, now that we're in the home stretch, it'll be interesting to see who gets booted first.  And with the theme next week, I'm predicting another guy!  Even though I'd be perfectly content singing one of the songs! (don't worry, I'm married to a woman)  But we'll get to that at the end.  Let's talk about Idol Gives Back for a bit.

Overall, the show was decent.  I think I enjoyed previous Idol Gives Back when the music performed was more inspirational based than promoting current singles and what not.  You'll see in my live-blogged highlights and lowlights below my complaints.  Of course, there were a few exceptions.   Here we go:

Highlights of Idol Gives Back
  • The Top 12 Perform "Keeping the Dream Alive" - I'll give them a pass on a night for Charity!  It was semi-less cheesy.  
  • The Footage they are showing from the poor areas of the country and the rest of the world definitely were driving the message home.  I hate to put them as a HIGHLIGHT as they were very sad and moving.  But I think you guys get what I mean.  Very effective. 
  • I wanted to hate George Lopez judging the judges.  But I did chuckle a few times!  (I did say a "few" not a lot!) 
  • The Ford Music Video - definitely upped the budget on those crazy effects!
  • Joss Stone and Jeff Beck with the Jubilation Choir perform "I Put a Spell on You" - Really can't go wrong with this combo.  Great guitar, great vocals.   But still don't understand the song choices so far tonight (see Black Eyed Peas in the lowlights).  I have a feeling Carrie is going to sing one of her songs that heavily delivers a message from her latest album.  I'm already dreading it, but I like her so much she'll obviously make the highlights!  
  • Morgan Freeman did the hula-hoop!
  • Alicia Keys performs "Unthinkable (I'm Ready)" and "Empire State of Mind Part II"  -  Not much to say, it was just good.  Not a show stopper or anything! 
  • Carrie Underwood performs "Change" - I totally called it!  When the album came out I told my wife, "Yep, this will be her Idol Gives Back song next year"   Good times.  Can't knock her though.  She is so amazing and can make anything sound wonderful.    
  • Wanda Sykes' little stand-up routine making fun of elimination shows was a good time! 
  • Still a fan of that David Cook!  Good to see him doing good in Ethiopia and rocking that guitar for the kiddies too! 
  • Annie Lennox performs from London due to LOST's Smoke Monster hanging out over Iceland.  But she's still awesome every time she appears on the show!  
  • "Stairway to Heaven" performed by Mary J. Blige and an all star squad -  Randy Jackson, Travis Barker, and some other names that Ryan said too fast and I was too lazy to rewind!   Definitely a bizarre collection of people but it did sound pretty good!  Even if I'm not a huge Mary J. fan.  
  • Elton John performs "Your Song" - LOVE THAT SONG!! 


Lowlights of the Night

  • Ryan's making fun of the children already.  That seems counter productive.  
  • Celebrity Phone bank with Russel Brand and Jonah Hill fell a little flat.  
  • Black Eyed Peas perform "Rock Your Body"  - Fergie was dressed as Wonder Woman and the rest of them are just comical.   Especially the long haired guy.  He cracks me every time he gets his rap.   on.  I'm sure I'd rock out to the song on the radio or something but ugh their live performances just are not that great!   Wasn't the point of Idol Gives Back to not promote your new singles but to sing something inspirational in accordance with the night?  ROCK THAT BODY??   
  • The girls screaming when Justin Bieber's mug showed up on screen. 
  • I love getting lectured by Billionaire Bill Gates on donating money.  Why can't he just do it for me?   Don't get me wrong, I'm sure he does a lot and understand what they were trying to do.  But you know you were thinking it too! 
  • I know they said they were going over 2 hours tonight.  But it's 10:09 and Elton John hasn't performed yet.  We still need to do the elimination! 
So the theme for next week is the music of Shania Twain!   Not only was she the best additional judge this year (I include Ellen in this, even though I like Ellen, just not a fan of her as a judge) but she has some fantastic music to choose from!  Having 6 amateurs sing her songs on American Idol might bring a whole new meaning to "Shania Karaoke" that Carrie mentions in her hit "Before He Cheats" but it should be a good time.   Can you imagine Aaron singing "Who's Bed Have Your Boots Been Under?"   Or Casey singing "Man, I feel like a Woman!?"    Ahh we're gonna have fun with this kids!   Can't wait for next week now! 

And, that's all I have for tonight!  Finally, next week there will only be 2 hours of American Idol all week.  "Music" to my ears!  Hope you enjoyed my ramblings and I'll see you next week! 


Ending Credits

  • I'm moonlighting at Gather.com and writing some entertainment articles, including re-posting these blog entries.  Every page hit gets me closer to a teeny tiny donation for my efforts.  If you enjoyed my writings, please click here to register a page view.     And also check out my other writings at http://mvitullo.gather.com/ 

Check out my other Blogs: 

2 comments:

Ian said...

You liked Wanda Sykes? Man, I can't stand that woman. Truthfully, I thought most of the comedy bits on tonight's show stunk, though I'll admit to chuckling a few times at George Lopez' bit too.

Mike V. said...

I don't normally think she's funny. Last night I guess I was just in a more charitable mood lol you hate to bust on a show when they're trying to do something good for
the world. I still found a way though! Lol