Hello American Idol fanatics! We return for the top 9 performances with the songs from the most infamous songwriting duo of all time, John Lennon and Paul McCartney! This covers both Beatles songs and also songs from John and Paul's solo careers as well. For the most part, it was a decent night. I'm still not enjoying this season as much as seasons in the past, but there is one consistent singer that I always enjoy, and there seems to be one contestant that surprises me each week. It gives me hope that this season can turn things around before the end.
Of course, hearing the news today that Adam Lambert will be MENTORING the Top 8 next week is not information that gives me much hope! I had discussed in the opening Idol Blog of the season that I was positive American Idol would attempt to perform "Damage Control" to his career, but I never thought they'd stoop to this level. I'm sorry, but if any contestant is going to be mentoring the contestants, shouldn't it be someone who WON? Or someone that won and has had more success? Yes yes, I know Adam has a hot single right now and everything, but he didn't win! He is not a grammy award winning artist such as Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood (both Idol winners by the way). Now granted, they may have been asked and weren't available. But I think the biggest insult would be to last year's winner - Kris Allen. This just makes no sense to me at all, except for the fact that they're going to try and put Adam's Top 20 single to #1 overnight. And they will hope to improve the image that made him lose 50% of his fan-base when strutting his stuff on the American Music Awards last fall. All I can say is, don't fall for it Mom! Anyway, my rant is over for now. I wanted to get it out of my system before next week.
Let's get into the RECAP!
The Recap (Live Blogging)
As I have been trying out the last few weeks, I will document my thoughts as I am viewing the episode for each contestant and then give more thoughts at the end after I have had a chance to ponder it all. Here we go!
- Aaron "Yoda" Kelly - "The Long and Winding Road" - Loved the other contestants calling Aaron, Yoda and mimicking the Jedi Master. Good times! Aaron isn't sounding as good as he normally does. He got in a few good notes here and there. But not the greatest performance or song choice to be kicking off the show. Hopefully some other contestants won't be as good so he can stick around! The judges kind of were on the same page. Kara suggests more tempo (just say faster Kara!). Loved how Simon rolled his eyes when Aaron said "this whole journey has been a long and winding road." They added that Aaron is doing the same thing week after week. He needs to change things up and get younger. Bottom 3 maybe?
- Katie "Vote for me and Win a Date" Stevens - "Let it Be" - What was up with those shots of Katie dancing in the pre-performance club? Kinda bizarre! She is sounding really good on the tune. Changing up the melody just enough to make it her own version. Nice low notes, nice high notes. Nothing really bad to say about that one. Pardon my slang but she done real good! Ellen stole my line!! "Changing it up just enough to make your own" We all know I'm live blogging though, so we're good. Is Kara repeatedly saying that she's blossoming? Oh boy. Simon takes credit for Katie singing a little more country and Kara gets all high and mighty and has to show people her singing voice. Way to go Kara. You go ahead and steal Katie's moment. I'll sit here and continuously roll my eyes!
- Andrew "Mr. Comedian" Garcia - "Can't Buy Me Love" - Andrew didn't want to mess with the song too much because it's legendary. Wait, "Straight Up" isn't LEGENDARY? Come on dude! First of all, the polo shirt buttoned up all the way with a suit? I don't know about that either. I think he's doing a solid job on the song though. That one high note was a bit "crackily" but compared to a couple weeks ago, he seems to have righted his ship. An Idol winner? I'm still not seeing it. But he's doing pretty well. And of course Randy had to steal my "Solid" line. (LIVE BLOG people!) I don't care if Kara is giving constructive criticism. I just can't listen to her. Simon called it "wedding corny". I guess I can agree with them on that it was a tad corny, but I still thought he did a pretty good job. But like I said, he won't be taking home any trophies. We'll see how the rest of the competition does!
- Michael "Incredible Snoring Teddy Bear" Lynche - "Eleanor Rigby" - David Cook did a great rendition of this in season 7. Can he match it? Well, he did a totally different arrangement than Cook, obviously. But he did a really great job with it! He has a powerful voice and it's a powerful song. How can you go wrong? The judges raved about it as well. I think Kara could have toned it down a little bit! (am I dissing her too much in this recap?) Simon went the "broadway musical" route. Ever since they loved Adam Lambert last year, I have given up on hearing them compare anyone to Broadway. Michael should be safe this week.
- Crystal "Mama Sox" Bowersox - "Come Together" - Crystal has a cold. Hopefully it won't hurt her too much. Wow, they brought out a digiridoo on us! Not sure that was really necessary, but it was a good time. Still can't see how anyone can compete with her. She just has a natural gift. Usually, the obvious people don't seem to win American Idol though, so I'm still being reserved with my pick for this year's winner! But, if you ask me, she's still the best. And this week further proved it. The judges were 4 for 4 with loving it! I love how they brought the digiridoo player back out. If you didn't get it from my statements above, I think she'll be perfectly fine tonight. And as my wife adds, she has gotten a lot more personable since the beginning. All positive steps for the Mama Sox!
- Tim "Smiles" Urban - "All My Lovin" - Tim is rocking the electric guitar tonight. He even got his hair to look like the old Beatles' Mop Top. Is it wrong if I say that I actually think he's doing a decent job? Definitely a simple song, but it showcased that this guy actually has a pretty decent voice. And he played some decent rhythm guitar too. I wonder what the judges will say. Man, Randy stole my "hair" line! I am ON tonight! The judges all gave him props. Simon said Tim has handled the criticism really well. Nice. I actually think Tim is gonna be safe this week. Not looking good for Aaron and Andrew right now.
- Casey "Soap Opera Stud" James - "Jealous Guy" by John Lennon - Casey decided to ditch the Beatles and go with some Lennon solo stuff. He picked a great song. I've always loved that one. Loving the toned town acoustic guitar plus solo string player. He is doing fantastic. Great stuff, very heartfelt. That was a star making performance if you ask me. Not that he could do something that low key each week, but it was nice! Not sure why the judges are holding back. They're saying some good stuff but they're giving all of this criticism. Finally, THANK YOU Simon! He finally said it was the best of the night. I thought it really was good! Definitely safe this week.
- Siobhan "Amazingly Weird" Magnus - "Across the Universe" - Siobhan wants to show a different side of her voice. Will she avoid the big note? I doubt it. Let's see! First of all, the outfit? Top notch in ridiculousness! Obviously, it's a good song. But, I don't think it's a good song to be performing when looking for votes. Sang it okay, though it sounded weird at times. I don't know, I wasn't a big fan. Then again, I'm not her biggest supporter. My wife said it best, the judges just like her because she's weird. I can't explain any other reason for why they're putting positive spins on her performance instead of slamming her. Simon said it was much better than last week. I don't know. I am just not getting it.
- Lee "I'm Worried" DeWyze - "Hey Jude" - Love that Crystal said Andy and Lee could go get married and have Danny Gokey babies. Don't know why it was funny, but it was super funny! So Lee was doing a decent job with the performance and then he brought out the bagpipe guy. WHAAT??? When the digiridoo is not the biggest gimmick of the night, something is really wrong! I'm sure Lee will be fine, but that was just bizarre! I guess it was one way to make the "Na Na Na Na" part of the song less boring! Simon stole my line on the digiridoo and bagpipes! The digiri-dingleberries all praised the performance. Simon had a little more sensibility questioning the bagpipes. Hey, I thought he was doing just fine and then it got all over the top. Just out of uniqueness, he'll be safe. But he would have been safe anyway!
The Elimination Pick
I really don't think I have changed my opinions too much after watching everyone. But, I think the weakest performances had to be Aaron and Andrew. I, personally, would have put Siobhan in this category too, but the judges were pretty cautious with her. Let's be honest, if Siobhan ever was booted this early, they would use that stupid Judges' Save on her. I know she has her fans out there, but you cannot tell me these past 2 weeks have been GREAT weeks for her! And even though I liked Tim's performance, based on the other competition, he might be in danger. He's been in the bottom 3 before. Neither Andrew nor Aaron have been in the bottom 3 yet. Katie and Tim both have. This is going to be really interesting. Let's do our process of elimination.
Who is beyond safe? Crystal, Casey
Who else gave solid performances? Katie, Michael, Lee, Tim
Who don't I like and didn't do fantastic? Siobhan
Who had a pretty lousy night? Aaron
Who did I forget? Andrew
Bottom 3 Predictions: Aaron Kelly, Andrew Garcia, Tim Urban Bonus Pick: Katie Stevens
Elimination Pick: Andrew Garcia - Normally, I'd be happy about this pick. But, I felt like he was doing better in recent weeks. But I just don't feel right about picking anyone else after this week!
I don't know. I wouldn't be surprised if it's Katie or Tim just based on them being in the bottom 3 so consistently. I just don't think America is ready to let Aaron go down without another week to fight, but it easily could be him too. But, I think Andrew gets lost in the mix. Simon called him corny tonight. And, in comparison to the rest of the talent, maybe it was. At the end of the day, who would you vote for after last night? I don't think Andrew would have been at the top of my list.
Hey, it's a gutsy pick and I'm sticking to it. Let's see how far I can go with this perfect streak I have going. Seriously, if I get this one right, then I guess I'm untouchable! I'm thinking this week will be my downfall though. Just too tough to call!
Tune in for the results as we get to see Rhianna, Jason Derulo (A Kara protege'? Of course!) and good ol' David Archuleta's return to the Idol stage. Hope you enjoyed my ramblings and I'll see you after the results!
- I'm moonlighting at Gather.com and writing some entertainment articles, including re-posting these blog entries. Every page hit gets me closer to a teeny tiny donation for my efforts. If you enjoyed my writings, please click here to register a page view. And also check out my other writings at http://mvitullo.gather.com/
Check out my other Blogs: