Hello Idol Watchers! Interesting night wasn't it? It seemed like an endless string of acoustic guitars for awhile and a pretty ho hum night with exception of a performance or 2. I think we need to open up with a little Simon quote to Kara tonight don't you? "What you said is complete and utter rubbish." LOVE IT! It hurt Kara so much that she was reduced to tears 2 performances later crying about how she has no children! Yeah yeah yeah, I know it wasn't related but just give me that one. This woman is no Paula Abdul. Sorry! Can't even make myself feel bad for her or even believe that she was that emotionally affected by the song. Anyway, enough Kara bashing for now. This is definitely going to be a rough week for my picks. I absolutely have no idea what America will do tonight. But I have some theories!
Let's break it down. Randy, stop booing Simon! I am seeing enough deja vu's on LOST this season!
- Lee Dewyze - "Fireflies" by Owl City - Lee is a likable guy, isn't he? I like the song too. I think based on likability, the catchy tune and his mixing up of the beats a little bit he is fine to make it to the top 12. But, I do worry about his longevity. I see the same thing every week with him. He stands there with his guitar, brings a hard edge vocal to a song and does his little guitar riffy thing to play through it. Every song and every vocal performance of his is starting to blend together. The judges are convinced he can do better. We'll see!
- Alex Lambert - "Trouble" by Ray LaMontagne - And here we go. The first of several REPEAT IDOL performances. Both Taylor Hicks and Chris Sligh have tackled this song in previous seasons. Great song, still love Alex. Still love that crazy mullet (is it getting longer??? Sure seems like it) His awkward presence was back a little more this week with him attempting to stand up. No fear, Simon told him to imagine Randy in a bikini and Kara afraid that she wasn't in the spotlight for a second screamed out "I do that!!!" Great Kara, no one cares. Oh right and the whole binky comment and the touchy feely stuff with Simon again. Please, I was over it before I even saw it the first time! As for Alex, I hope he's going to get through, but we have to be honest. Do we really think he's going to get his act together and go for the win? Kara seems to think he can go all the way. I'm not sure I see that! 2 people have to go home, and I'm thinking one of the guitar wonders tonight will be in that list!
- Tim Urban - "Hallelujah" - by Leonard Cohen (Jeff Buckley version) - Here we go again. Jason Castro pretty much put his stamp on this song for Idol a couple years ago. He even caused a boom in iTunes sales of the Jeff Buckley rendition. So, I was prepared for the worst. Amazingly, Tim sounded pretty decent on it. He kicked the band out and just stuck with his guitar. Right after this is Andrew Garcia, one of these guys is going to get lost in the mix. Tim probably had the smallest fan base. But, we'll just have to see what happens! Was this the one where Ellen ran over and hugged a contestant? That was really bizarre wasn't it? Do people really want to stick around and see this show once Simon is gone? I'm losing faith each week with this crew!
- Andrew Garcia - "Genie in a Bottle" Christina Aguilera - I think after this performance I am officially off of the Andrew Garcia bandwagon. He is definitely a case of peaking too early. He had the one trick and has nothing left to offer. He thought he was just going to relax and "feel" his way through "Genie in a Bottle" and he really didn't do ANYTHING to the song. He played is little quick guitar riffs and sang the straight melody from the song. What's creative about that? He looked a little goofy doing it too. I don't know, I thought he was a Top 12 lock, but now I'm questioning it. Who of these first 4 might get forgotten? It's a toss-up!
- Casey James - "You'll Think of Me" by Keith Urban - Oh my...ANOTHER guitar mellow song. Yeah, Casey is all dreamy and stuff (so say the ladies!) and it's a good Keith song. But I think at this point I was falling asleep. I don't see Casey having much versatility either down the stretch. This performance was very much like his Bryan Adams performance 2 weeks ago. And last week when he tried to mix it up, it didn't work as well. I think his strength is in his guitar playing and not so much the voice. But, I'll keep the faith and maybe he can pull something out once he gets into the theme weeks. So that is pretty much 5 performances we won't be remembering very well. When you start thinking about it that way, then maybe you have to think about who is the most popular at this point?
- Aaron Kelly - "I'm Already There" by Lonestar - Ah yes, the performance where Kara tried to educate Aaron on the purpose of the song and how he's too young to sing it. REALLY?! I like this kid. I couldn't really tell if he was trying to do a raspy thing with his voice or he was just losing it. I think he has the mom vote in the bag though. I can't see him going home just yet. Winning? No, I don't see that either. But this guy has top 12 "poster boy" written all over his face!
- Todrick Hall - "Somebody to Love" by Queen - Oh my. I don't even know where to start. Yes, thank God he didn't play guitar (not that he plays one anyway!) But WHY oh WHY did he have to do my favorite Queen song? I have always thought that this song would make or break a contestant on. It actually got me on the Elliott Yamin bandwagon back in season 5 after he tried to tackle it during Queen Week. Todrick's performance started off as a train wreck but wasn't the worst thing in the world by the end. He definitely sang the notes and did his own spin on it. But I cannot take this guy seriously. Here comes some sarcasm. I love how now that Adam Lambert is no longer competing, it is safe to call performances TOO BROADWAY again. I made such a big deal about the hypocritical judging last season. Here we are again. The thing is, I have to agree. Any other week, this performance would have been a joke. But with the producers lining up 5 mellow guitar performances in a row, they may have given Todrick a chance to stay in this competition. Then again, they put him right before the most memorable performance of the night. So maybe not!
- Michael Lynche - "This Woman's Work" by Maxwell - I will be the first to admit that I have never heard the song that all 4 of the judges love with a passion. But I do know when someone is KILLING IT (good thing) out there! Mikey was owning that stage, commanding every note. He felt that whole performance and it was a sight to see! Did he just put himself in league with some of the girls? Quite possibly! One thing is for sure, he slayed it and is in the top 12! Love that dude. And when you look at Michael and Todrick side by side, which one can you take more seriously? That's what I thought, the one not dressing like the kid from Big Daddy.
So this is a rough one kids. I'm not sure what I'm gonna do! Well, let's do the ol' process of elimination!
Safe: Michael Lynche, Casey James, Aaron Kelly
Should be okay: Lee Dewyze
Probably next on the chopping block before this week: Todrick Hall, Tim Urban
On the hot seat: Andrew Garcia, Alex Lambert
(putting the names in a hat, shaking, closing eyes, picking out)
Elimination Picks: Todrick Hall, Alex Lambert Bonus Pick: Andrew Garcia
I believe in the mullet power, but it's crunch time and I don't know. I'm nervous for the kid! I could easily see it being any of the last 4 I mentioned before my picks. I am fully prepared to go 1 for 4 this week (Yes, Paige Miles is out of here!) but it's okay. There is nowhere to go from last week but back down! Tune in on Wednesday night to see how I did! Hope you enjoyed my ramblings as always and I'll see you after the results!
Please Click to Support! I'm moonlighting at Gather.com and writing some entertainment articles, including re-posting these blog entries. Every page hit gets me closer to a teeny tiny donation for my efforts. If you enjoyed my writings, please click here to register a page view. And also check out my other writings at http://mvitullo.gather.com/
Check out my other Blogs: