No really "AWFUL" categories to put these folks into tonight. The fat has been trimmed and good talent remains. So, if you see me splitting up contestants below it's only by the slightest margins.
Super Fantastic (like 10 out of 10)
- Jessica Sanchez - "Stuttering" by Jasmine Sullivan - Never heard of the song, but she made me a believer. Sure, I may have been the only one who flashbacked to my college days when we'd always be blasting a little Joe and his song "Stutter" but woa. Jessica's vocals are ridiculously ridiclous. For a girl of 16, for a girl of 40 or whatever. She is just an amazing talent. She and Joshua bring the madness every week. I guess if you want to try and decipher J-Lo's analysis, we could say that she is a notch below Joshua in terms of "taking people on a ride" but with chops like that, it's going to come. And, I thought she did just fine in telling a story or what not.
- Joshua Ledet - "Runaway Baby" by Bruno Mars - This is the moment I have been waiting for with Joshua. He needed to prove he could do upbeat and apply his fantastic soulful sound. And he did it very successfully. He was working that stage, he still brought the crowd to church, but one helluva rockin' church! And, it totally reminded me that I love that Bruno Mars song since I first saw him perform it on the Grammy's. So, it will probably be on my download list very soon. Now, that Joshua has shown he is a ballad master and a bonafide rocker, I think he can be looked on as a certified favorite. But, can he compete against the teen texters!? We shall see.
- Elise Testone - "Yoü and I" by Lady Gaga - I've made it no secret that Elise is my favorite this year. There is just something about her voice that I really dig. And she showed it again on the Gaga tune. Of course, I had to get past the nightmares of reliving the fact that Haley Reinhart graced (terrorized) this Idol stage only a year ago. I'm still trying to get over the fact that she had a ridiculous amount of fans. But, you put Elise next to Haley, there is no contest. Elise has got a crazy amount of maturity and soulfulness to her vocal style. And that raspy tone is unmatched. It doesn't hurt that she got the Pimp Spot again on the show. I was actually surprised that J-Lo actually OUTED the Idol production team for intentionally putting the best performance last. Of course, I don't know if we can really say it was better than Joshua or Jessica last night, but it was on par. And definitely an improvement over her mis-step last week!
- Sklyar Laine - "Didn't You Know How Much I Love You" by Kellie Pickler - So, I can't even begin to tell you how grateful I was that Skylar didn't decide to go with Miranda again! Instead she took on Season 5's Kellie Pickler, and she did a very good job. I love seeing her stick to her guns with her song choices. And she nailed it again. As my wife pointed out, if Skylar was on the show last year no one would even know who Lauren Alaina is. Very true.
- Colton Dixon -"Love the Way You Lie" by Skylar Gray - I kept expecting Colton to break away from the piano and say "Ladies and gentlemen, welcome our special guests Rihanna and Eminem!!!" but alas, we were just treated to the songwriter's version. I was worried we were going to see "Colton does his 'Piano Man' performance to another song!" but I was pleasantly surprised to just see him using some mad vocals, piano skills, and incorporating an entire string section to give one really solid performance! The crazy thing is that at least one of these 5 above will have to be in the bottom 3 this week. That's how good the talent is this year.
- Phillip Phillips - "Give a Little More" by Maroon 5 - I really do enjoy Phillip doing his thing every week, but as the judges did point out, it's pretty much the same thing every week. I've often referred to it as Phillip "Dave Matthews-izes" a song. And it does sound awesome, and you can tell that he loves what he does. But, when you see these other guys shooting for the stars, it does get a little repetitive. So, on any other season of idol, I'd say this guy would be the stand-out every week. But, I think he needs to up his game. Plus, I've already stated how I don't want him to win because of the whole teen hearthrob angle that has plagued Idol over the years. That kind of applies to Colton too (although, if I had hair, I don't know if I'd be doing THAT to it!) I also don't think Phillip's "I don't care about anything" attitude is helping him much, and I don't think he cares about that either!
- Hollie Cavanagh - "Perfect" by Pink - Ohh, poor Hollie. Remember when I thought she might be a favorite to win the whole thing? But, alas, her age/maturity has shown now. This was a thousand times better than the last couple weeks, but I think she's just a notch or 2 below the others in terms of experience and it shows. She has to be in most danger of going home this week or any week.
- Elise/Phillip - "Somebody That I Used to Know" by Gotye - This song is on heavy rotation on my iPod/iPhone as well. Love it. Never really saw it being a good Idol performance though. They did their thing though. Elise definitely got the better end of the deal with it, but once again, Phillip doesn't care. I also think it's strange that FOX featured this song in prime time 2 nights in a row. (It was also on the ever devolving GLEE 2 nights ago. It's almost like I'm being punished for liking this song!)
- Skylar/Coloton - "Don't You Wanna Stay" by Jason Aldean/Kelly Clarkson - Really gutsy for anyone to take on Kelly Clarkson unless you have proven you have the vocal range to take it on. She hits some crazy notes in this country duet and Skylar did not. When stuff like this happens, it reminds me how cool I think it would be to get all of the Idol winners and have an All-Star Idol competition to see which one would reign surpeme. After one more season, you could have a 12 contestant competition. Though, I don't know if all of the winners would be game for it. Plus, it would just be another chance to crown Carrie or Kelly in the end!
- Hollie/Joshua/Jessica - "What Doesn't Kill you (Stronger)" by Kelly Clarkson - How hysterical was it that Joshua sounded the best on this out of the 3 of them? Lots of pitchiness going around, but Joshua held it all together. And by the way, have you all picked up Kelly's latest album, STRONGER? It's fantastic, as all of her stuff is. She truly has been unmatched by any winners since. (though, Carrie is pretty awesome too and probably the most successful as Simon had predicted all those years ago)
So, I think that SAVE can only be used over the next couple of weeks. Once they're in Top 5 or 4 territory, it becomes null and void. Which, I still think is hysterical because some of the most shocking exits have happened in the Top 5 and Top 4 rounds. I do think the save will be used this year just because of the sheer talent left. Then again, because everyone is so talented, they can afford to let people go and still have a solid show. Anyway, in terms of this week, I think if anyone was booted before Hollie, they would save them. So with that, let's pick a bottom 3!
Bottom 3: Hollie, Phillip, Skylar Wildcard: Colton
(I only picked Skylar for bottom 3 because she went first)
Elimination Pick: Hollie Cavanagh - Well, I mean, she's kind of British anyway, right?
So, I guess we'll see what happens! Hope you enjoyed my ramblings and I'll see you next week!