Tuesday, February 16, 2010

American Idol - 7 of the Top 24 Unveiled

Hello America!  Surprise, did you realize that tonight's episode would be 2 hours?  Yeah, I didn't either until earlier today.  It was right about when I found out that they would start dishing out the Top 24 a day early too.  Crazy!   Anyway, that changes my whole approach to tonight's recap.   Why get into all of the speculation when we're already revealing who we will see perform live.   So, as usual, I will save my Top 12 predictions for the Wednesday recap, but I will give my brief thoughts on who made it in tonight now.

We started off the night with the 3 rooms, and had to figure out which of the one rooms would not make it to the next elimination stage.   I thought it was pretty easy to determine that ROOM 2 was the odd group out.  The one big notable name from that group was Mary Powers, who developed a group of haters after her "GROUP ROUND" antics last week.  So no love was lost seeing her leave.   Most of the people that we have been picking as favorites are still in the running for tomorrow's unveiling.  And we'll discuss them in a little more detail tomorrow.

Here are the 7 Top 24 Contestants unveiled:


  1. Michael Lynche -  So, here is poor Michael again.  He made it to the live performances.   I haven't heard anything differently about him not being disqualified because of his father, but I guess we will find out tomorrow when they show the montage of dancing contestants who made the top 24 (the cheesiest thing on Idol behind the Ford Commercials!) 
  2. Didi Benami - Didi had a pretty successful Hollywood Week.   We will remember her most for her kissing up and performing the Kara song on Day 1, but she sang it well.   And we were reminded of her friend in Nashville passing away and her dedicating her run on Idol to her.  Her rendition of "Angel" was decent too, but the judges called her inconsistent for the week.  We'll see!  The Idol Producers sure showed us a lot of this girl! 
  3. Katelyn Epperly -  We really didn't see Katelyn much since her audition, just clips of her getting through each round.  She developed some fans early on.  It's impossible not to get caught up in the "cute" factor.  But Katelyn, the hat has to go!   She sounded pretty good on her rendition of "Bubbly" on day 3 and she definitely has a voice.  She has the "package artist" thing going for her.  But how will she perform live?  
  4. Casey James -  This ponytailed audition stripper guy totally re-packaged himself as a serious artist during Hollywood week and won me over.  I like his chances for the top 12 a lot, but let's find out the rest of his competition first. 
  5. Aaron Kelly - The young kid who calls his Aunt, MOM.  He skated through Hollywood on very thin ice, forgetting the lyrics in the Group Round and Round 3.   The kid has a voice though, no getting around that.   We'll see if he can remember his lyrics on the LIVE show and get that all too important MOM vote behind him! 
  6. Lee Dewyze - This guy was the surprise of the night, as we have not seen much of him.  He could be the dark horse in the group.  Looks like he has some good guitar skills and good musical taste.  We caught him performing the Fray's "You Found Me" which actually didn't work out for a top 12 contestant last year, Mr Matt Giraud.  I thought it had sounded good though!  
  7. Todrick Hall - We have heard Todrick's name being dropped ever since his audition where he did that crazy little ditty that named all of the judges in a cute/creative way.  I won't hold it against him that he worked on Broadway with Fantasia.  But if he keeps bringing it up, I just might have to! 

So that's the 7 we saw folks!   Others to keep an eye on tomorrow night?  Andrew Garcia, Ashley Rodriguez, John Park, Janell Wheeler (another one they keep bringing up), Thaddeus Johnson (you gotta love that guy!) and I'm sure many many more.  Those are just ones off the top of my head that I can see them giving some attention to.

What do you guys think of the 7 that made it in so far?  Any predictions for who else will fill it in?  We'll know soon enough.  Hope you enjoyed my ramblings as always and see you tomorrow!


Ending Credits

Please Click to Support!- I'm moonlighting at Gather.com and writing some entertainment articles, including re-posting these blog entries.  Every page hit gets me closer to a teeny tiny donation for my efforts.  If you enjoyed my writings, please click here to register a page view.     And also check out my other writings at http://mvitullo.gather.com/ 

Check out my other Blogs: 
LOST - http://www.lostaddictsblog.com/ (blog is back and on fire!)
FlashForward - http://www.flashforwardaddicts.com/ (back March 18th)



    2 comments:

    Ian said...

    So that's how they did it. I missed the second half because of LOST. To be honest, I'm not overly impressed with anyone this year. It seems like we're getting overloaded with these acoustic guitar player types. After Kris Allen was so successful with that style last year I don't know if anyone's going to be able to outdo him.

    Mike V. said...

    I stopped watching at 9:15, then watched LOST and caught up to the end in real-time. Then I finished Idol, although I really didn't want to! I have this stuff down to a science! lol

    They are saying the talent is really great this year. They say it every year. We'll see! I agree, lots of acoustic wonders this year. Maybe there is more to them than meets the eye!